Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Dancing Life Away

 Last July when I never published this post, I had the pleasure to attend the 10th annual Salsa Congress 10th annual Las Vegas Salsa Congress  here in Las Vegas. Dancers from all over the world travel and gather at the Tropicana for 4 days of dancing, workshops and shows. After 2 hours of watching the top performers from all over the floor, everyone proceeds to the ballroom and by 1 am it is full and throbbing, people, most who are strangers to each other, dancing away until 4 a.m. when the music stops and those whose feet are still standing may go up to someone's room for even more dancing and merriment.

Sleep a few hours, get up to take classes, eat, shows, dance, repeat. For a few pictures and video click here LV Salsa Congress

I remember my first congress. As a newbie to the scene I was self-conscious. I worried about 'messing up', not following correctly, stepping on the wrong place. The times I asked someone else to dance, I felt that fear of rejection guys are certainly more used to than us.

As the years have gone by, my dancing has improved some. I still sometimes let worry get to me. That Saturday I danced with some worry: Worry that I am not as good as others, that I am not a performer, that I would make mistakes or that I have bad habits in my dance. Saturday I had more trouble hearing the music, and blamed it on my not-good-enough abilities.  Saturday I danced less and I smiled less.

Sunday night, not even pretending to dress up for the occasion:


 I made it a purpose to just go and have fun, enjoying the last few hours of this year's dance marathon. I had the best dances of the weekend and I danced better than I had all weekend.

Congress ended and I caught up on fluids and sleep yesterday. Then, this morning I rose before the sun and taught yoga. I have been working on projecting strength but with a sense of peace and evenness. Today, my inspiration was that exhilarating and calm feeling from Sunday. Dancing away with happiness, floating in the movement. I found my teaching. I found my voice, steady and strong, urging for challenge and form and breathing. I found the peace in teaching, like I found the peace in the dancing of Sunday, and there was no fear.

Fear holds us back. No matter whether we are talking about workouts, hobbies or daily decisions at work and at home. Fear hinders us. Without fear, we can soar. Fear, most often, begins with us and towards us. We are our biggest critics. If we can love ourselves, forgive ourselves and give to ourselves, we can shatter the fear at least long enough to get a little closer to our true selves today, and as we dance and repeat, we get through life with peace and strength, and maybe even happiness. So dance away and remember:


No comments:

Post a Comment